ALPS/Alerian Energy Infrastructure
Objective And StrategyObjective
Investment results that correspond (before fees and expenses) generally to the price and yield performance of its underlying index, the Alerian Energy Infrastructure Index
The Portfolio employs a "passive management" - or indexing - investment approach designed to track the performance of the Index. Developed by Alerian, the Index is intended to give investors a means of tracking the overall performance of the North American Energy Infrastructure sector. The Index is comprised of equity securities of issuers headquartered or incorporated in the United States and Canada, primarily consisting of common stock, but also including, among others, Master Limited Partnerships and limited liability companies taxed as partnerships ("MLPs"), MLP affiliates, and Canadian pipeline trusts and their successor companies ("Canadian Pipeline Trusts"). The Portfolio will normally invest at least 90% of its net assets in securities that comprise the Index (or depositary receipts based on such securities) provided that, for the reasons set forth below, the Portfolio will not invest more than 25% of the value of its assets in one or more MLPs. Under normal conditions, the Portfolio generally will invest in all of the securities that comprise the Index in proportion to their weightings in the Index; however, under various circumstances, it may not be possible or practicable to purchase all of the securities in the Index in those weightings. In those circumstances, the Portfolio may purchase a sample of the securities in the Index or utilize various combinations of other available investment techniques in seeking performance which corresponds to the performance of the Index.
* This portfolio is non-diversified, with the potential to invest a greater portion of its assets in a limited number of companies. Consequently, this portfolio may have more risk as changes in the value of a single security may have a more significant effect on the portfolio's net asset value.
* This portfolio is subject to the risks of concentrating a portfolio in a specific sector of the market. Changes in the specific sector will have a significant effect on the portfolio's net asset value.
* At times, the Fund's investments may represent industries or industry sectors that are interrelated or have common risks, making it more susceptible to any economic, political, or regulatory developments or other risks affecting those industries and sectors.
* The value of your investment in a Fund is based on the net asset value ("NAV") of the underlying funds and, in turn, the securities that the underlying funds hold. The Funds are subject to the risk that one or more underlying funds will not perform as expected or will under perform other similar funds or that the combination of underlying funds selected by the Funds' investment will not perform as expected. The Funds will be exposed to all of the risk of an investment in the underlying Funds.
* Value stocks may perform differently from the market as a whole and following a value-oriented investment strategy may cause the Portfolio to at times underperform equity funds that use other investment strategies.
* Generally, a security is liquid if the Portfolio is able to sell the security at a fair price within a reasonable time. Liquidyt is generally related to the market trading volume for a particular security.
- Fund Prospectus and Other Forms