Profund VP Consumer Discretionary
Objective And StrategyObjective
Seeks investment results, before fees and expenses, that correspond to the performance of the Dow Jones U.S. Consumer Services Index.
The Fund invests in equity securities that ProFund Advisors believes, in combination, should have similar daily return characteristics as the daily return of the Index. The Index measures the performance of consumer spending in the services sector of the U.S. equity market. Component companies include, among others, airlines, broadcasting and entertainment, apparel and broad line retailers, food and drug retailers, media agencies, publishing, gambling, hotels, restaurants and bars, and travel and tourism. As of January 31, 2011, the Dow Jones U.S. Consumer Services Index included companies with capitalizations between $582.8 million and $113.3 billion. The average capitalization of the companies comprising the Index was approximately $8.2 billion. The Index is published under the Bloomberg ticker symbol "DJUSCY." Assets of the Fund not invested in equity securities will typically be held in money market instruments.
Tax Inefficient Fund
* This portfolio is non-diversified, with the potential to invest a greater portion of its assets in a limited number of companies. Consequently, this portfolio may have more risk as changes in the value of a single security may have a more significant effect on the portfolio's net asset value.
* This portfolio can leverage or use leveraged instruments or derivatives. Portfolios that use leverage, that is, borrow money, are subject to the risk that the cost of borrowing money to leverage will exceed the returns for the securities purchased or that the securities purchased may actually go down in value. Thus the portfolio's net asset value can decrease more quickly than if the portfolio had not borrowed. Portfolios that use leveraged instruments or derivatives such as futures, options and swap agreements, may expose the portfolio to additional risks that it would not be subject to if it invested directly in the securities underlying those derivatives. The more a portfolio invests in leveraged instruments, the more the leverage will magnify any gains or losses on those investments.
* This portfolio is subject to the risks of concentrating a portfolio in a specific sector of the market. Changes in the specific sector will have a significant effect on the portfolio's net asset value.
* Certain portfolios are subject to active trading risk. (Some may derive a significant portion of their assets from investors who take part in certain strategic and tactical asset allocation programs). The frequent exchange of shares of the portfolio may cause the portfolio to experience high turnover. High portfolio turnover may result in the portfolio having to pay higher transaction costs and may negatively impact the portfolio manager's ability to achieve the investment objective of the portfolio.
* At times, the Fund's investments may represent industries or industry sectors that are interrelated or have common risks, making it more susceptible to any economic, political, or regulatory developments or other risks affecting those industries and sectors.
* The value of your investment in a Fund is based on the net asset value ("NAV") of the underlying funds and, in turn, the securities that the underlying funds hold. The Funds are subject to the risk that one or more underlying funds will not perform as expected or will under perform other similar funds or that the combination of underlying funds selected by the Funds' investment will not perform as expected. The Funds will be exposed to all of the risk of an investment in the underlying Funds.
* Credit risk is the risk that the issuer of a security may be unable to make interest payments and/or repay principal when due. A downgrade to an issuer’s credit rating or a perceived change in an issuer’s financial strength may affect a security’s value, and thus, impact the VA Short-Term Fixed Portfolio’s performance.
* Generally, a security is liquid if the Portfolio is able to sell the security at a fair price within a reasonable time. Liquidyt is generally related to the market trading volume for a particular security.
- Fund Prospectus and Other Forms